[Tig] Weird 16mm black/white neg 7222 problem

Robert Houllahan rob at cinelab.com
Mon Nov 5 01:24:43 GMT 2012

> Spent all weekend trying to solve this issue.
>
> tried almost every possible thing in the Lab to find the cause, changed
> some rollers (the one that helps take away Backing on ColorNeg, turned of
> the aggiteting )of whatever the english name is for it, the pumps in the
> developing bath), put in a plate of hot water in the elevator to increase
> the humidity to minimize the risk of static (we tried with 35mm 5222 and
> got static discharge, and that looks very different), skipped the alcohol
> cleaner completely, tried different mags in the lab....

We have been seeing this from time to time at Cinelab and we have a 35mm/16mm demand drive Allen processor dedicated to B&W so it does not even have a backing removal tank or scrubber. The funny thing is that we have seen it happen on rolls of film that were on the same 2000' load as other rolls which were perfectly clean. We have tried doing a rewash thinking that it was a final rinse problem but it does not wash out.

Maybe there was a weird master roll at Kodak? I think it is a film issue, unfortunately.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
Colorist-Director