[Tig] Sony BVM and PVM OLED monitors

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Wed Nov 14 20:31:41 GMT 2012

>I've been using the BVM-E OLED for the last 10 months. I think it's great, true blacks and very clean and faithful colour reproduction. The major drawback is the narrow viewing angle, 35 degrees, if you're off axis the pictures have a blue green tint. If the client is on the sofa at the back of the suite this isn't a problem but if they're next to me (which they invariably are) at the desk then they aren't seeing what I'm seeing. This is mostly not a problem once I've explained it, and when we do a final sign off they either sit further back or right in front of the monitor. The other solution is a calibrated Panasonic Plasma client monitor, but I have resisted this so far due to the extra maintenance involved.
>All in all I have found it to be a big improvement on LCD, apart from the Dolby, which seems to have cracked most of the common LCD nasties. Just for reference I have, in my time, had Sony CRTs, Sony Trimaster LCD, Cinetal 10bit LCD, Barco LCD and Ikegami CRT monitors. So I would like to think I have graded on a fairly wide range of display devices.
>The PVMs have the same viewing angle issue, we use them in our online suites. The picture quality on the PVM also holds up very well against the BVM, I have noticed it doesn't handle that "low gamma" area of the picture just above black, quite as well as the BVM.
>All in all I think it's great (bar the viewing angle).

I don't normally quote the entire message (sorry, Rob), but with a small
exception, I echo Simon's comments. Great blacks, good tracking, very stable.

I have found the horizontal viewing angle to be somewhat wider than he has
(I've used mostly the PVM versions on set), perhaps 45-50 degrees before
degradation occurs.

But the vertical angle is excellent. Except for CRTs, the first monitor I've
used where the DP standing behind me sees the same image I do while seated.

The BVM has many more options, of course, including superior handling of 24p
images, LUT capability, multiple inputs, etc.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

DIT, Video Controller, and live compositor extraordinaire.

High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted them or not.©