[Tig] Grading Stereo3D resulting in multiple masters

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Oct 12 17:21:05 BST 2012

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, David Bernstein wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> >
> > > 4:3 Pan&Scan (?)
> > 16/9 (zoom from a 2:35 master?)
>
> Are these formats actually produced any more other than via unsupervised hardware?
>
> Yes they are, and features have never been created in these formats via unsupervised hardware. A lot of effort

[snip]

> And I'm not sure where the 4:3 versions are going these days, but they still have to be delivered.

As an industry outsider, I assumed that the 4:3 format was surely
vaporizing as fast as film.  No one (at least in the USA) watches
media in 4:3 format any more except for on older cell phones, Home
Shopping Network, and YouTube content produced with cheap cameras or
cell phones.  The value is so low I assumed that it would be relegated
to automatic conversion.

There is continued value to 16/9 since many providers are unwilling to
transmit content in what appears to be a letterbox format.  They would
rather crop (or even squish) wider content to fit 16/9.  I assumed
that wide content would be shot so that it would be easily scaled and
cropped to 16/9 without "pan & scan".

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn