[Tig] can't we all just gamma along?

Juan Salvo js at grsv.com
Thu Oct 25 01:15:16 BST 2012

> what gamma is everyone grading in?
>
> for rec709...2.2, 2.35, 2.4, 2.6?

I'm using 2.2 still. There is a proposal to adopt 2.4 as a standard for
709. The EBU specifies 2.35 so in the EU this is standardized. For a long
time we unoffically standardized on 2.2, so much of the broadcast pipeline
is set to this, which is why I'm still using it for 709, as soon as 2.4
gets adopted I'll switch. I know many people are already using 2.4.

for DCI... 2.4 or 2.6?

Unlike 709 which doesn't specify a display gamma, the DCi spec does. It's
2.6... this is what we use.

Hopefully we can all standardize on something soon.

-Juan