[Tig] can't we all just gamma along?

Owen Williams owen at ywwg.com
Mon Oct 29 15:00:03 GMT 2012

My understanding is that display gamma is designed to vary with room
illumination, which is the reasoning behind computer 2.2 (bright office
light), hdtv 2.4 (dim living room), and theater 2.6 (total darkness).

>From all the various data points I've gathered on this subject, the
consensus seems to be that we should all be on 2.4 for rec 709, then
boost to 2.2 for output to web/computer.

Owen