[Tig] What happened to film elements used in TV shows?

David Mackenzie lyris1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 04:35:13 GMT 2013

Hi group,
This question has been bugging me for a while.

I know that with shows like Star Trek and Twilight Zone, film elements were
kept, and today we have HD scans of these.

But can someone fill me in on what happened to film elements for shows made
in more video-centric eras? Specifically with regard to television
animation? Say for a case like pre-digital episodes of The Simpsons, what
was the process? The animation would be photographed onto film in Korea,
shipped to the States to be telecined... then what?

Were the film elements junked afterwards, stored, or what?

David Mackenzie
DVD / Blu-ray Compression & Authoring
AV Calibration and Consulting
+44 (0) 7873 858 012 / www.davidmackenzie.me / www.hdtvtest.co.uk