[Tig] Grading 5d thoughts

Sam Daley sdaley at technicolorpwny.com
Thu Dec 5 13:27:52 GMT 2013

I recommend that clients download the Cinestyle profile for their camera before they shoot. The settings for the profile can also be programmed manually.

If clients have already shot their material without Cinestyle then I just hope for the best. I will key clipped highlights and push a bit of color into them, whichever color is relevant in the scene or in the area surrounding the clip.  I sometimes use an inverse S curve LUT to extract more detail in shadows and low mids but this will increase the appearance of noise and artifacts so I use it only in extreme situations.

I never grade from the H.264 files. For Tiny Furniture (Canon 7D), which was shot with Canon default settings, we transcoded to 10-bit uncompressed files and I was able to pull keys and color correct without much compromise. Yes, I know it doesn't make sense since the H.264 source files are 8-bit but it worked so I didn't question the science.

I look forward to grading RAW footage from a hacked Canon. I may even hack my 7D to test.

Here is the link to the Cinestyle download. Although I work for a Technicolor satellite company, I gain nothing by sharing this:
http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/cinestyle

Sam Daley
Senior Colorist
Technicolor - Postworks NY