[Tig] Grading 5d thoughts

Tom Rovak trovak at comcast.net
Thu Dec 5 14:53:34 GMT 2013

You've got to make it flat first. Emulating a "raw" file as much as possible. This will give you a far better feel for what's in the image, and the latitude of exposure (which isn't much with these cameras).
I have done projects where DSLR footage was intercut with better digital cameras. It can work. Big problem is all the inherent compression noise in the original image. Quite often you may not notice it until you start manipulating the contrast.
The bigger problem comes with the deliverables. If your deliverable is 4K DCP, the DSLR really starts looking bad. this may be in the realm of totaly unrealistic. but it has been done.
Some years ago I was really hoping the DSLR revolution was a passing fad. Today I am so happy to say that I have not had a DSLR project for quite some time. I hope to never see one again.
Best of luck.

Tom Rovak - Sr. Colorist / Post Production Supervisor
ROVAK COLORIST SERVICES
Commercials, Feature Films, Music Videos, Long Form
Color Correction, DIT, Dailies, Editorial, Finish/VFX
trovak at comcast.net
(815)690-8323
Website / Commercial Reel: http://colorist-rovak.com/