[Tig] Grading 5d thoughts

Tom Rovak trovak at comcast.net
Thu Dec 5 15:06:00 GMT 2013

True. But Cinestyle is not a fix for the bad H264 recording. It's simple a color correction, downstream of the capture. The inherent noise is still built into the image. To me if people use Cinestyle that's fine. If not, I use a base setting I have on my Resolve that actually does the same thing. Maybe a bit cleaner since I am flattening the image in sRGB color space. I am not sure what color space Cinestyle is doing that in. But either way, it has not effect on the built in compression noise.
As far as what codec you transcode to, i agree it really can't make it better than the original source, but I would rather work with 10bit as well. Usually the files get transcoded to ProRes 422HQ or ProRes 4444 and striped with ascending, non-repeating, SMPTE TC at that time. but of course this is done before the edit, as a dailies transcoding. That will ensure all will re-link when it gets to me later.

Tom Rovak - Sr. Colorist / Post Production Supervisor
ROVAK COLORIST SERVICES
Commercials, Feature Films, Music Videos, Long Form
Color Correction, DIT, Dailies, Editorial, Finish/VFX
trovak at comcast.net
(815)690-8323
Website / Commercial Reel: http://colorist-rovak.com/