[Tig] archival workflows

Paul Korver paul at cinelicious.tv
Fri Dec 13 17:07:28 GMT 2013

Hi Lou and all,
I share many of your sentiments about the fiscal realities of restoration and preservation.  We were recently asked to flat bid an HD scan, grade and restoration of a film for $5K.  Because one of our goals is staying in business we passed.  I recently saw the film on Blu-Ray and it looked like ass.  And this was a fairly important 1950's noir film.  It's very sad when you know "what's possible" to see that when these decisions are driven by distributors (who's only goal is the fiscal bottom line), that they are willing to risk precious film elements just to make a buck.  It seems like whomever is in charge of caring for the elements themselves should have a certain mandate about the level of preservation that is going to happen before they let them out of the vault.

And Lou… I know you and I have some disagreement about this but regarding film scanners it seems strange you are "bullish" on resolution but not on dynamic range?  I know that your illustrious remastering career included a lot of A-Title studio work which I presume was from original camera negatives (which certainly wouldn't exceed the dmin-dmax film density dynamic range of a north light).  But when it comes to IPs or original camera positives our experience is that high dynamic range is of greater impact on final picture quality than meeting nyquist's oversampling recommendation.

And since "Archival Workfows" is the topic of this email… we dig into this quite a bit in the most recent Post Magazine article on film restoration where they featured our work on the TV Series Death Valley Days.  Post Magazine's features are available only in print but we created an online version that has a lot more interactive higher resolution image detail to illustrate the discussion points:  http://cinelicious.tv/news/post-magazine-death-valley-days

There is no way we would be able to scan the 16mm ECO original camera positives other than with a high dynamic range scanner to 16-bits (we also use a 16-bit alpha channel making 2K come in at 24.6MB/frame, and 4K at a whopping 100MB/frame!)

Happy scanning and Viva Celluloid!

-Paul