[Tig] tek color grading primers

Steve Hullfish steve4lists at veralith.com
Mon Jul 1 17:52:26 BST 2013

Hey guys -

I did write the Tek color grading primers.

As such, it is a PRIMER. Like, when you were in school learning to read.

You guys are hopefully a bit above the "learning how to use a scope to do color grading" phase.

The primer provides a basis for understanding how to use the various tools (scopes). Many of the tools discussed are Tektronix exclusive. Tek has patented a number of ways to look at gamut, for example. No other scope has them, so if you read the primer and don't have a Tek scope, then maybe 30% of it will be meaningless. The rest of the stuff that would be applicable is about using an RGB scope or a vectorscope or whatever (I wrote it a year ago, so my memory of exactly what's in there is fading...)

On one note, I appreciate Joe Owens comments. I agree about luminance but I prefer to have the scope (which has multiple views) set up with JUST RGB on one display and another entire view devoted to Y. I personally don't like YRGB parade, but certainly Y is important to see. I just do it on another display. The 5000 has the ability to show two displays, so you can do RGB Parade on one and Full Luma on another or a vectorscope or a gamut display of some kind. This is where some of the Tek patented displays come in handy. The Diamond display or Spearhead let you see Saturation and Luminance at the same time (though not hue, really).

Anyway, the PDF primer was something that I wrote to help explain what scopes are for and to help experienced colorists start to understand and explore some of the newer gamut displays that are not used in common "old school" color correction use of a scope. And I mean no disrespect to anyone by saying "old school." It's just that very few colorists use (or have access to) the Diamond display or the Spearhead display or LQV vectorscopes. You may not like these tools, but like anything, they take some getting used to, and we wanted colorists to have some information so that they could feel like they'd at least explore these new tools and see how and why they could be used in analyzing an image.

My approach to color correction is that it's very hard to DO good color correction unless you know how to analyze the image and have the tools to analyze the image. Some people have an innate talent to look at a picture monitor and know what to do. Others need or desire some degree of analytical power of seeing what is on some kind of scope or some other tool to be able to determine what's "wrong" with an image, or where an image is sitting,  or how far an image can be pushed before bad stuff starts happening to it.

If you read them and you have specific comments - good or bad - I would love to hear from you. The document is flexible and can be tweaked. I did not write the intro or the wrap up to the document, for example, and have asked if I can re-write it. I will be doing that later this summer, and if there are other comments or corrections about the body of the document itself, please let me know and I'll revise the document.

I am not an eight hour a day, five day a week colorist. I've done a lot of national TV shows and documentaries (which I think are incredibly challenging to grade), but I am more of an author and editor than a colorist, so I welcome your comments from the trenches.

Steve Hullfish