[Tig] ProRes444 necessary when grading BW

Tom Rovak trovak at comcast.net
Mon Mar 18 20:50:01 GMT 2013

I did extensive testing of this when I was at Foundation Post. The ProRes4444 was the only codec that I could export that FCP did not alter. The test went as this: render from Resolve as DPX on Linux, convert the DPX to ProRes4444 on Resolve MAC. Finish in FCP, re-import to Resolve linux and they matched. When converting to ProRes422HQ or any other codec and finishing in FCP there was a gamma curve shift from 18-22. Which of course washed out  the picture a bit. I also did the same test but eliminating the Linux altogether. So from Resolve MAC, ProRes4444 to FCP, no change. ProRes422 etc... a gamma shift.

Tom Rovak - Sr. Colorist / Post Production Supervisor
ROVAK COLORIST SERVICES
Commercials, Feature Films, Music Videos
trovak at comcast.net
(815)690-8323
Website / Commercial Reel: http://colorist-rovak.com/