[Tig] Colorist Salary

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Tue May 7 12:42:10 BST 2013

I've been freelance (but not a colorist) for a long time. My advice is not
to look at what others are charging.

How much do you need to do the job? What are your overheads? How much work
are you likely to get (in other words, do you need to charge more for the
times when you won't be working)? How reliable is this company? How likely
are you to get paid on time? How likely are they to change the goalposts in
the middle of the job? Do you need to use your own equipment (and thus make
sure you have enough to cover any repairs etc). What other work will you be
turning down for the duration of the job?
Ask yourself those questions. Come up with a price. You'll definitatly get
it wrong the first time. That's ok, that comes with experience. Never try
to charge based on what others are charging, you have no idea of their
circumstances. I've personally charged a lot less than some other people on
some projects and been told I did a much better job. I've been told that I
charge too much in other cases, and as a result turned the job down flat.
I've worked for nothing/little on other jobs because I felt that they were
worth doing. I've been paid far too much money to do other jobs that, to be
perfectly frank, required me to do very little, but got me out of a
financial jam.
I don't think I'd ever go back to full-time employment though.

Jack

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM, David Lindberg <david.hj.lindberg at gmail.com

Jack James <http://about.me/jackjames>, Surreal Road
Limited<http://www.surrealroad.com>