[Tig] Colorist Salary

Steve Hullfish steve at veralith.com
Tue May 7 17:54:46 BST 2013

I've seen calculators or blogs on the internet about how to price any kind of freelance. They include all kinds of things to consider including how much vacation time you want to give yourself in a year, how much you want to earn, what's the minimum you could live on, what expenses do you have as a freelancer, tax considerations, health care, etc.

For someone without their own suite... just freelancing... there are a ton of factors, but $80/hour sounds about right for you. I'd put it between $60/hour and $120/hour for sure. It's just a question of how high you can push to that upper limit... and once you've pushed to the upper limit, how far you can push past it. It's all about supply and demand. Who else could they hire? How much do THEY want?

Do some googling about freelance rate calculators. Don't worry that they're for graphics designers or web people or coders or whatever. Read through and steal whatever wisdom you can from other professions. There's a LOT that will apply to colorists.

Steve Hullfish
author, "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction," 2nd Edition