[Tig] 4K ProRes?

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Fri May 10 16:52:38 BST 2013

Sounds reasonable on the face of it. One argument 'pro' would be to at least "future-proof" the property, some kind of Universal Master.  Conversely, there is almost no usefulness to a 4K resolution project at the moment other than to provide Sony with yet more demo material while they try to ram the format into the consumer consciousness.  And, obviously as a cinema output for the theatres that can project 4K.  And somebody else has to buy another Terabyte of storage and hope that that hard drive doesn't seize up before you need it again, sometime in the future.  It seems like *milk* in a shelf-life sense.  The 4 litre bottle makes sense in a price/ml computation, but if you only use a couple of cups a week to make your morning latte?

I would be interested to know if there are any instances of projects that we may have done in the '90s in SD, for example in Super16, that had to be *protected* in 16x9 or whatever format deemed practical at the time "for the future", that have been somehow revived for today's 1080 consumer market?  And if that was a useful exercise?  How do you future-proof something in a top-of-the-line "today" format when tomorrow's is going to be something else anyway, -- makes today's gee-whiz look OMG what were you thinking?

I can't think of any that I was involved with -- for starters, it seemed to me that there were so many other elements (FX, etc) that would have to be re-done, you may as well start again from scratch, errr... dailies.  Really, a contemporary 2K scan would be so vastly superior to an SD 2:3 29.97 telecine transfer...  all that the '90s master could provide would be that it would be a great cutting copy.

On 2013-05-09, at 5:24 PM, Warren Eagles wrote:

> If you have pumped $5K of your own money into a short film why wouldn't you want a 4K finish.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4