[Tig] How much time film really has?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu May 16 20:23:21 BST 2013

On Thu, 16 May 2013, Robert Houllahan wrote:

> I agree that the information on the "speck" that is a 1.44 floppy
> disc can be migrated, to some degree, but there are caveats. The
> data may be migrated but that data may only be accessible on a
> system/software which does not run on a modern computer. Also with
> all of the proprietary data formats reconstruction of older data
> becomes a archeaelogical project.

The concern about old/proprietary data formats is a real concern.
The problem with proprietary data formats is becoming worse rather
than better, with new digital camera systems sourcing vendor-specific
formats and a trend to store all original source elements.  When the
software that understands these formats and the original source
elements expires, then the digital data becomes distressed.

> Lastly about digital data, IMO there is no neglect tolerance, miss a
> migration step and that data will be lost forever, not so with film
> and it's long shelf life.

Everyone agrees with this.  Active curation and management is
required, even it if can be automated.  You can't just put the digital
media in a dry cave and hope for the best.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn