[Tig] How much time film really has?--Scanner manufacturing considerations

Robert Houllahan rob at CINELAB.COM
Fri May 17 05:33:40 BST 2013

> Upgradeability is desirable.

Interchangeability is desirable, the ability to put a 3340 4-tap sensor on with a color mask at 15FPS which uses vision stabilization for one job and then something like a 6620 monochrome sensor for 6.6K RGBIR DI pin registered scans for another in one machine is pretty good.

> As imagers and optics change, the need for different light sources (perhaps brighter) can become evident, particularly with negative, where more light = better black level.

Or just over design the LED illuminations system to begin with plus the ability to do either telecine or intermittent movement and HDR multi strikes is good.

> And if one upgrades to a sensor with more pixels, the processing throughput—pipelines, CPU/GPU horsepower and storage—needs to keep up or the frames per second capability suffers.

Cameralink and modern PC hardware, how much GPU do you want, a GTX690 will do it, throughput also no problem.

> The transport's mechanical tolerances may also need improving as more minute details become more apparent on the screen.

Or if the mechanics are high tolerance to begin with and the optics are good for real DI scans any color mask imager is a step down in terms of image just faster frame rates.

> So it's not always as simple as swapping the sensor.  There's a domino effect.

Or it is if it's a machine designed to top quality DI scans to begin with.

> Archives need throughput. And they need permanence (or should that be "permanence"?)

Well whomever figures out long term digital storage might get rich, but it hasn't happened yet, the cost of storing all the digital data is silly maybe it's better to do a DI restoration and then record to polyester base film for the long term.

I think there is the idea that all future film work will just be archival, I happen to think that is wrong, there is also the possibility that film will keep on as a medium and if that is so scanning it with an edge guided color camera is not good enough.

Robert Houllahan
rob at cinelab.com
VP - Colorist
www.cinelab.com