[Tig] How much time film really has?

Colin Smith colin-s at moving-picture.com
Fri May 17 07:14:41 BST 2013

I second that emulsion!

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Skaff [mailto:carl at stopp.se]
Sent: 17 May 2013 06:14
To: Bojan Mastilovic
Cc: Tig at tig.colorist.org
Subject: Re: [Tig] How much time film really has?

Support from Digital Vision www.digitalvision.tv Support from MediaCloud www.MediaCloud.cc =====

IF 'film dies' completely by next Christmas.
And every filmscanner-, projector-, filmcleaner-, filmlab- (etc etc) manufacturer decides to shut down by next summer due to No Demand....

And in ten years someone comes to me with a film archive containing millions or billions of rolls of film that needs to be scanned and 'preserved' on a HDD or YouTube.

Then if I can't buy what I need I would just have to find some smart people that can look in the history books and re-invent all that is needed for the task.
And in the end bill my client.

For film it is relative easy. All that the smart people need to figure out is how to take a lamp source and point it at the film. Record the projected image and take a digital photo of it. Then move to the next frame.
(I've seen it accomplished with Lego and a Canon flatbed scanner)

I'm being a bit ironic and drastic in my statement of coarse. But my point
is: even if film dies, if someone needs to use it when there is no tools left... We WILL find a way around it.

The stone ages was a long time ago, but today with archeological help we know they used sharpened pointy rocks to hunt with. And cave paintings has been dead for longer then film has been alive, and we can still see them and even digitize then.

I personally have no fear that all the old neg and prints in the archive will vanish. But I do fear that now (or soon) when everything is acquired digitally... It will most likely NOT last.

20 years ago the Olympics in Norway was captured with video cameras... Some parts, like the opening ceremony, is just lost! No digital copy exists!

Some months ago I scanned a roll of 35mm print, content was the Stockholm Olympics of 1912!
Sure the film was dirty but worked flawless to digitize and be amazed by.

And today we don't even shoot video stored on a physical cassette anymore.
Now it's a memory card that gets copied to a consumer HDD and then struck a clone from (if lucky to a LTO).

Tomorrow it might all be stored in the cloud. When that time comes, one well aimed bomb or two will be able to wipe out years of culture from the futures history books.

Although. When thinking about it. With all the crap being produced now...
Who cares if it's lost forever :)

/Carl

(Sent from mobile device)
*Carl Skaff*