[Tig] How much time film really has?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri May 17 18:15:14 BST 2013

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Turnto at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> All it would take is one EM pulse and film will be golden.

Likewise, the whole power grid may be permanently toasted, along with
much of the electronic equipment attached to it if there is a
significant earth-directed solar flare.  The last time this happened
was in the 1800s and the telegraph wire strung across the continental
USA was vaporized as if it never existed in the first place.

Just like we are due for another San Francisco earthquake, the
scientists tell us that we are due for another big solar flare event
and that life as we know it is at risk unless we take appropriate
precautions.  Thus far there has been only talk about taking the
precautions (e.g. temporarily inserting huge capacitors in the power
grid to block the DC), and no action.

Film stored several thousand feet under the ground will likely still
be ok. :-)

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn