[Tig] How much time film really has?

jim at media-matters.net jim at media-matters.net
Fri May 17 19:04:17 BST 2013

I wasn't going to jump into this, but since the thread seems to have garnered some interest and longevity I think it might be useful.

The group should know that many of the concerns mentioned in this thread are not new, but are the subject and study of an entire field called AV Archiving consisting of thousands of people worldwide.
There are graduate degrees given in this subject on an international basis now for many years. Many of the topics mentioned have been studied and discussed for decades and there are conferences on
an annual basis, so for those of you who are really interested I am sure the field would welcome your expertise and attention.

There are journals, academic papers and presentations, and a wide variety of work has been done on these very topics, and over the years the field has dealt with many of the issues mentioned. Some of
these specific topics, such as how the world's AV content can be preserved going forward in time (Digitally) have been studied for decades now and there are some very good solutions that have been
implemented. There have been European Union research projects for over a decade now funded in the Millions of Euro's about some of these issues and a great deal of it is online. You might want to look
at the results of the Presto, Prestospace, Prestoprime, and Prestocentre projects - there is a great deal of information out there.

So the good news is that people ARE taking this very seriously, allot of work has been done, the field is always looking for new ideas, but many of the concerns mentioned as being problems have in fact
been solved and solutions have been implemented and have worked for many years now. So those with the passion please join us - there are several organizations in the field, you might want to look up
AMIA (The Association of Moving Image Archivists), SEAPAVAA (South East Asia Audio Visual Archive Association), FIAT/IFTA (International Federation of Television Archives), IASA (International
Association of Sound and Image Archives), and so on.

Even more importantly, people are actually doing digital preservation of AV materials like Film and Video and Audio and have been for over a decade. Miles of film, Millions of tapes have been digitally
preserved.  People are very aware of issues like machine obsolescence, the importance of preservation file formats, and discussion of methods of digitization and "how good is good enough".  Issues like
digital migration have been discussed and largely "figured out", and systems around the world are at work preserving film, video, and audio.

I am not saying this to stifle conversation, quite the contrary.  The field needs your expertise. It is also important, however, to read up on what people actually are dong now to get a better perspective on
what real issues are and which ones have lower priority with solutions that work already in play.

Jim Lindner

On Fri May 17 10:15 , Bob Friesenhahn  sent: