[Tig] bit-depth in color

David Lindberg david.hj.lindberg at gmail.com
Sun May 26 13:01:58 BST 2013

One thing that got me thinking: Is there a purpose for the variation of terms to describe the amount of color data in each pixel?

I mean, it does feel like the expression for the amount of data per channel in one pixel like 8, 10, 12, 14, 16-bit is kind of like the standard expression, right? If so, is there a reason why we still use other terms like millions of colors or the summary of bits in all three RGB channels like 24, 48-bit in some situations and softwares?

Just feels like something that occur confusion to many people but for no actual reason that doesn't benefit anything.

I may be wrong about a lot of things in this claim, so feel free to correct me.

David Lindberg
Colorist // Editor // Online Artist
http://davidhjlindberg.blogspot.se/
-