[Tig] Desktop Monitors & Calibration for Compositing

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Tue Feb 18 02:28:56 GMT 2014

>> Can you suggest good monitors for desktop compositing and calibration process?
>> We need to set up a new VFX pipeline.

>I'd say HP dream color and the Eizos would be top contenders for this sort of work.

Depends on your budget and how picky you are. The two mentioned are OK if you
can stand the various issues that LCDs have. I had enough of them in a pro
environment - between no blacks and bad viewing angle, not for me.

If you have a bigger budget (like around $5K U.S.), the 24" Sony OLED is far
superior. And of course, with still more money, there are even bigger, better
monitors out there. I would stick with plasma or OLED.

Disclaimer: My friends at Sony have always been kind to me, and have bought me
the occasional inexpensive lunch, and it's likely I will record a monitor
testimonial for them to use at NAB, but I paid for my OLED. And I only ever
endorse stuff I like, free or not.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

DIT, Video Controller, and live compositor extraordinaire.

High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted them or not.©