[Tig] Desktop Monitors & Calibration for Compositing

Robert Frye bcfrye at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 18 04:49:51 GMT 2014

As Bob mentioned, it really comes down to price and your relative need for critical viewing.

Since the initial question was regarding desktop use, that pretty much rules out plasma, can't
recall the last time I saw a plasma small enough to be used on the desktop.

If pure black level, and decent rendition as the image comes up out of black, are important needs, a
"regular" LCD will suffer in both of these areas, as Bob mentioned.  Sony's OLED line does have good black
performance, and they have models in a wide range of price points, so they might have a model in your budget.

But I know many folks doing compositing work who feel they do not need the same level of color critical performance
in a monitor as a person doing color grading work.  If that's the case here, then the Eizo's would be a good choice.
I don't believe the HP Dream Color has been manufactured for some time.

Again, the bottom line always seems to be, know your budget, and your personal / professional need for color critical
reproduction and black level / near black rendition.  The more these are critical to you, the more budget you will need.

If OTOH if cost is your driving factor, be prepared to have less accuracy in the monitors performance.
For some compositors, this is not a problem.

Bob