[Tig] No more OLEDs -- WTF are we monitoring, exactly?

Jeff Kreines - Mindspring jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Thu May 15 02:03:42 BST 2014

Thanks, everyone, for clarifying.

I was reacting to the poorly-written story posted on the AVID-L this morning, which read:

"
Struggling Sony to halt OLED TV development - report

May 13, 2014 2:02 pm
Tokyo - Sony Corp has decided to suspend the development of organic light-emitting diode (OLED) televisions in order to focus on its new range of liquid crystal TVs, news reports said Tuesday.

The struggling Japanese electronics giant does not expect demand for OLED TVs to take off anytime soon, the Nikkei business daily reported without citing any sources.

South Korean rivals LG Electronics and Samsung Electronics have moved ahead of the Japanese company in the sales of OLED TVs, which remain a promising next-generation technology with clear pictures and fast response times, the Nikkei said.

Meanwhile Sony’s ultra-high-definition 4K LCD TVs are generating revenue, the report said.

In early May, Sony increased its predicted net loss to 130 billion yen (1.27 billion dollars) for the previous financial year due to additional costs from its personal computer business and disc manufacturing.

In February, Sony estimated a net loss of 110 billion yen for the year to the end of March.

Sony will report its earnings for the year on Wednesday.

DPA

I am glad to hear this isn’t the case.  I suspect Sony needs to work on how they word their press releases!

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta