[Tig] No more OLEDs -- WTF are we monitoring, exactly?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu May 15 02:32:23 BST 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014, Jeff Kreines - Mindspring via Tig wrote:

> Well, what exactly are we monitoring, and what will the stuff we are
> working on (especially if grading) be seen on?

You have made good points.

I am still using a DLP rear-projection TV.  It still looks very good
for Blu-ray, Netflix via Roku, PBS, FOX, and most Dish network
programming, but there is strangeness with certain drama programs from
broadcast ABC and CBS.  Advertisements and live programming from the
same networks look fantastic but ABC drama programs often show reddish
faces (or very dark images) and CBS programs look drab and muddled.
I can only imagine that there is something in the content that my TV
is sensitive to (perhaps out of legal video range) that the monitor
used during grading ignored.  We are retreating back to NTSC ("Never
The Same Color").

With so many kinds of devices, how can one ensure that the results
will look correct on any "accurate" device?

I am hoping for 70" OLED next year.  Hope, hope.  But perhaps it will
look terrible because the blacks will look wrong.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn