[Tig] No more OLEDs -- WTF are we monitoring, exactly?

new-century at lineone.net new-century at lineone.net
Thu May 15 11:50:52 BST 2014

The "bad old days of CRTs" ???

Terry Smith

production, which I assume applies to professional monitors.

>Well, what exactly are we monitoring,
and what will the stuff we are working on (especially if grading) be
seen on?

>I love my Sony PVM-2541A.  Amazing blacks.  But unless I am watching
something on an OLED monitor, those blacks can’t be duplicated.  After
doing a lot of B&W grading on the Sony, I went and saw NEBRASKA at our
local art house, which just installed a Christie 2K projector —
installed and set up by Boston Light and Sound, known for their
fussiness.  (The installation engineer didn’t like the way the audio
rack was labelled so he spent an extra week redoing it from scratch.)

>While I had issues with how NEBRASKA was graded, the projector could
never get a black that approached the black of the new surround masking
— which was really black.  The surround kind of rubs the projector’s
face in the non-black black.

>I asked some colorists about this and they said that you have to use a
LUT box on the Sony so that the blacks match the cinema projector.
(Or, of course, grade on a well-calibrated projector.)

>In the bad old days of CRTs, at least there were some things in common
between your fancy BVM grade-1 monitor and home TV.  The TV wasn’t as
good but at least the technology was kind-of the same.

>Now, we have OLEDs, Plasma (RIP), LED-lit IPS LCDs, tube-lit LCDs both
IPS and crappy, 8-bit, 10-bit, low-res, HD, UHD, not to mention
projectors with xenon or weird spiky lamps…  and Dubly-Vision.

>In audio, there were Auratones as the car radio spec, NS10s for cheap
home stereos, Genelecs, Tannoys et al for mixing (what, no 604s?), and
the mastering engineers I know liked Duntech Sovereigns.  If the mix
translated, all was ok.

>But will a grade ever translate between all of these devices?

>Given that we may never see widespread use of OLEDs, the new cheap
internally calibrated HP Dreamcolor looks interesting.