[Tig] film restoration software

justin lovell just.love.film at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 18:25:11 GMT 2014

I know this has been discussed many times, but looking for some new insight.

Thoughts on film restoration software?
I've tested pf clean, Diamant dustbuster +, Algosoft.

*Pf clean* had the best interface, and allowed prores files without needing
to convert to dpx sequences.

*Dustbuster +* gave me the best results and excellent fine tuning controls.
Very good customer support around development and improving the software.
(scratch removal is getting better).

*Algosoft* - still in development with some promising results.  UI is old,
and very windows xp ish. Mainly an automated one touch solution.  Not
necessarily what I'm after.

Approx costs:
Dustbuster quotes $18k
Pfclean $10k

Both have costly yearly upgrade fees.

Mti I have not tested
Phoenix retouch I have not tested.

Anyone have results/opinions they could share?

Justin Lovell
Cinematographer // Assoc. CSC
WWW.JUSTINLOVELL.COM

416.901.5332 m.416.803.1101