[Tig] Stochastic Resonance in 2015

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Thu Jul 16 16:47:25 BST 2015

This term leapt out recently from the record label by that name on Facebook.  It brought to mind a thread from 2006 (and previously) on the TIG (a search on the archives at http://tig.colorist.org/cgi-bin/swish.cgi <http://tig.colorist.org/cgi-bin/swish.cgi> will find several threads).

I attended on Tuesday an advance screening of the film “Mr. Holmes,” here in Minneapolis.  The cinematography (Tobias A. Schliesser) was superb, the color (Stefan Sonnenfeld) also.  Projection was TI DLP (not sure which model) in a multiplex-pocket cinema.

There is a quality, though, that I found missing, in this portrayal of a fictional 1947: that of texture.

I found myself wishing for film grain, for that fine elevation of randomness, a description of which our Peter Swinson described rhapsodically here in the past (1).  It would have suited the material extremely well. (2)

Proponents of Film, Unite!

Rob

(1) In 2006, Peter argued for 32K resolution cameras.  http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/2006-November/010110.html <http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/2006-November/010110.html>  Perhaps we’re slowing getting there.

(2) Especially, http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/2007-January/010321.html <http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/2007-January/010321.html>

—
Rob Lingelbach    http://colorist.org/robhome.html
rob at colorist.org