[Tig] Preventing banding artifacts

Chris Barnett chrismicrofilm at me.com
Fri Oct 23 09:57:59 BST 2015

I've also been meaning to ask this question for a while..

Going from 4K Prores 444 master (from RED raw camera files) down to 1080 H.264 8bit web versions creates shocking banding.

I've actually found that watching broadcast TV I don't see banding as much as I would expect, having experience of making it so often!!

I export either from Resolve, FCP7 or MPEG stream clip - all with same results (ish) - resolve seems best..

Could you explain how / which software you use to add dither? It works so well with audio but not found how to use it with video.

I'm having to use techniques based on individual clips that are worst offenders.. I cannot use blur on a vignette at all, it's basically just having to remove all fx or grades that offend. Or as you say add noise. Also projecting with data projectors as we do  for end of year screenings is a total nightmare.

Thanks

Chris

-----

Chris Barnett
University of Bristol - associate teacher
MA Film & Television