[Tig] Blackmagic Design Scanner

Joav Shdema joav at dbdigital.co.il
Wed Feb 3 14:28:53 GMT 2016

Under impressed is a soften expression to disappointed.

To me the Blackmagic scanner looked like the company is trying to sell more
of their digital cameras than focusing on the true professional needs of
someone involved in film restoration.

What I've encountered was:
Fixed mediocre optics
Optical resolution isn't matched on both gauges
No sound options
Image quality is not good, faded and diffused
Cheap looking mechanical film path with sprockets - a no go when you deal
with archival materials
No upgrade path options - it is a one box buy as is.

I might forget some of the points but the above sums up my initial
impression of this unit. Compared to the efforts invested by some of the
other manufacturers - it is nowhere there.

Cheers

*Joav ShdemaManaging PartnerDB DigitalExpert Film-Video-Audio
Restorationwww.dbdigital.co.il <http://www.dbdigital.co.il>*