[Tig] Discussion of scanners

Buck Bito - Movette buck at movettefilm.com
Thu Feb 4 21:43:43 GMT 2016

Hi Perry,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I think we're largely on the same page regarding scanner-based grading
except that with our other two scanners we are able to deal with real
problem footage (most of what we work with is amateur material) by
altering the lamp settings to get closer to a rough grade and thus
retaining full sensor range going to disk.

Like you, we do not do final grading on scanners. But for instance, since
the primary grading UI for the FlashscanHD is acting on the lamp and is
very easy to alter for a pickup take, we deal with serious color issues
like tungsten film outdoors on the scanner to get it 'in range' and that
way our clients have more bits to push around in post for the real
grading.

The level of control we have on the Kinetta far surpasses both of our
other scanners and has allowed us to pull usable files out of underexposed
super-8 that was essentially black coming out of either our Scanstation or
our FlashscanHD no matter what we tried on those machines.

-Sincerely,
---Buck