[Tig] Film color response in 3x3 matrix

Martin Parsons martin at image-eyes.com
Tue Feb 16 19:07:04 GMT 2016

Hello Stepan

Good question.
Film stocks can be profiled. However because of the interaction between
emulsion layers as light passes through, the RGB profile can't be
represented by a simple 3x3 matrix.
For example, pure blue light passing through film will be registered by the
blue sensitive layer but there will be some effect on the green and red
sensitive layers too. So the individual emulsion layers do not 'decouple'
from each other, i.e. act totally independently from each other. So film
profiles are generally in the form of a 3D LUT.

In order to not advertise I can put you in touch offline with somebody who
profiles film stock.

All the best
Martin

  Martin Parsons