[Tig] Discussion of scanners

Ted Langdell tedlangdell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:46:48 GMT 2016

Hi, David,

You can check the TIG archives to see whether you’ve missed something.

Search: http://tig.colorist.org/cgi-bin/swish.cgi

Recent: http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/

February by thread: http://tig.colorist.org/pipermail/tig/2016-February/thread.html#22268

In fairness, you might note that there have not been any direct responses from most other scanner manufacturers or their sales representatives.

I’ve asked the factory for guidance regarding what additional information I can post about the specific sensor/camera packages.

Currently, five different sensor/camera packages are used in MWA's three product lines: The small-gauge flashscanHD, compact Choice and mid-sized Vario scanners.

The widely used flashscanHD 8mm/Super8 (w/9.5 option) unit has been shipping since 2009. It uses a Hitachi three-chip CMOS 1280 x 720p/50 4:2:2 HD-SDI camera enabling 50fps scanning—a breakthrough at the time—and still a valuable tool for our consumer-film transfer business users. Recent models shipped with the same operating software as the Choice and Vario, so moving from one MWA machine to another is less of a learning curve and more intuitive.

The flashscanHD has just been augmented with a recently available 1920 x 1080 sensor/camera package that I’m advised offers some noticeable improvements.  I’m anticipating some further details and sample footage soon.  Upgrades are possible from the three-chip unit. The new sensor/camera also offers 50fps scanning for situations where that’s useful and film permits.

The Choice and Vario lines share the 2K Plus™ 2336 x 1732 CCD and 4K Plus™ 4096 x 3072 CMOS cameras (both RGB 12-bits per color.)  The Vario can also be fitted with a 16-bit per color, low noise, 2560 x 2160 High Dynamic Range sensor that’s real time. Users have been quite pleased with the results.

Upgrades from current to newer sensor/camera packages can be done as the opportunity arises. Handling additional data can require a change in processing power, which might be as simple as faster storage, or it may need additional horsepower in the GPU cards and/or workstation being used. Depends on what the customer has in use at the time the upgrade is performed.

MWA has tried and rejected a number of sensor/camera packages. MWA’s investigation of sensors resulted in more choice of sensor/camera packages.

As several other posters have alluded to, scanner manufacturers are constrained by the sensors on the market at a given time, how they are packaged by third-parties into cameras, how those can be successfully mounted in/on scanners and made to work in film scanning with the software development kits (SDKs) available from the camera vendors… and the results obtained when applied to film scanning.

What can make a difference when using a specific sensor or camera is the light source, along with the post-sensor and/or post camera processing that can be devised for the incoming data. MWA pioneered the use of flashed (pulsed) multiple R-G-B LED arrays in film scanning in 2004, and in 2008/09, developed its patented laser-based perf detection system used on all its current scanners.

The LEDs used for each color are narrow enough in bandwidth to minimize color crosstalk at wavelengths where the film dye density curves overlap and where camera color separation filter curves overlap. That helps keep chroma noise low and delivers a well saturated image requiring only a little correction during internal processing for color space conversion.

Hope this is helpful.

Ted

Ted Langdell
flashscan8.us Moving Image Tool and Technology Store
iPhone: 	(530) 301-2931 (Preferred)
Office:	(530) 741-1212
ted at flashscan8.us
Skype: 	TedLangdell

See us at NAB 2016, April 18-21, Lower South Hall Booth SL14813.
Free exhibit pass code LV3654 can now be used for registration.