[Tig] P3-DCI to rec709

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jun 16 17:00:38 BST 2016

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016, Marc Wielage via Tig wrote:

> Use a LUT to get you most of the way there, and do a trim pass in the
> color correction system. The LUT alone will not work. The trim pass need
> only take a day or two. I also think there are things that visually change
> just inbetween (say) a 20¹ projector and a 30² or 40² flatscreen display.
>
> For that reason, my opinion is that you can¹t use a projector for a Rec709
> deliverable. I think you¹re better off using a calibrated flat-panel
> display to better approximate what the home viewer will see. I think

Flat panel displays are a rapidly moving target with many options.
How do you know if the one you chose is representative of what home
viewers will see?

This year is introducing HDR into flat panel displays ("LED" LCDs
become super-bright and OLEDs become a little brighter), which will
cause new issues.  We are also seeing support for P3 or Rec.709
mapped into a Rec. 2020 space.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn