[Tig] How does black and white film age?

Jeff Kreines jeff at kinetta.com
Thu Mar 31 21:00:13 BST 2016

Unless the print was tinted or toned (unlikely in the 1950s) the print should not have any color to it except the “color” or the projection lamp — arc, xenon, or incandescent — but the eye adjusts to that quickly.  Sometimes labs print B&W films on color positive stock (it’s cheaper) but there is a special ring of hell reserved for those labs.

It’s contrast/gamma and blacks that you have to get right.  Remember, B&W printers had a scale of just 21 printing lights — and the labs usually processed prints to the same gamma (which might vary at different labs, but not by much).

Unless there are effects like day-for-night, or an attempt at an extremely contrasty look (that is, intentionally, rather than because of bad lab work or too many generations of duping), films of that era usually would have a good tonal scale, with no crushed blacks or blown-out whites.  No color at all.

If you want to accurately mirror the look of a good vintage print, you probably should avoid windows and tricks — but of course sometimes it’s hard to avoid.

Good luck.  Great B&W is amazing.

Best,

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta