[Tig] Film frame stabilization software

Joseph Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Wed Nov 16 16:56:50 GMT 2016

Over the years, I’ve encountered a number of stabilizers… I am tempted to include “MetaSpeed” as the first…

When branching away from pure correction work, the VFX package “SHAKE” presented a couple of processing nodes; a “Tracker”, “Match Move” and a “Smoothcam.” which of course had varying degrees of operability from a UI standpoint and outcome success.  What was great about it and remains a strength is that the degree of control over the result is huge. And it still works in 4K.  It has had that ability for over a decade… even if it smells vaguely of blackpowder and has to be muzzle-loaded.

The Smooth node, cannibalized by Apple is, in fact, the behaviour that is the motion stabilizer in Motion and Final Cut. “Simplified."

Next up, MochaPro.  Not a point tracker, but a planar analysis tool with abilities that cannot be summarized in 50 words or less.

Yes, there is the Stabilizer in Resolve.  There are also OFX plugins that feature tracking/stabilization, and the Boris (+soon-to-be-bridged Sapphire catalog) asset base is connected directly to Mocha in the OFX UI.

I guess it depends on what it is you are trying to settle down.  The gate? The perf?  Or the action within the scene? If you are on the perf, then, I guess it would be possible to draw a bounding box around the area of interest, matte out the moving image within the frame and let ‘er rip for the whole roll.  Scene changes obviously require boundaries if you are dealing with cut footage or scenes that have natural motion within them.

This reminds me of the SilkScan option that started appearing with URSA… different modes depending on whether the motion within a scene was camera- or subject-related.

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 3:06 AM, Peter White (EAFA) via Tig <tig at colorist.org> wrote:
>
> I've been using Resolve for stabilisation with great success.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
8412 118 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G1T3