[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

definition of colorist?

Received the following question today from Harry Franchino of Eastman

> I work with Kyle Alvut at Eastman Kodak. We would like to know if
> there is an "offical" definition for a colorist ??

Does anybody have an answer to that?  My preemptive answers are: 

1) it's actually 'collarist', which we make sure have enough starch;

2) in the beginning, when the first telecine facility opened, those
who who had dexterity enough to place the metal cue tabs on the film
accurately were, naturally, called 'wrists' so one would 'call a
wrist' when one booked a transfer;

3) it doesn't matter, nobody outside of telecine circles will
understand what we do anyway, so I don't even use 'colorist', I say
'film/video engineer', which is familiar enough.


Rob Lingelbach          | 2660 Hollyridge Dr LA CA 90068 213 464 6266 (voice) 
rob at xyzoom.alegria.com  | "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or 
rob at sun.alegria.com	|  cat are not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
rob at dagmar.alegria.com        KB6CUN	   http://www.alegria.com