[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

more about PERChlor

Thanks to Eddy Zwaneveld for the following excellent information.

--- Forwarded mail from Eddy Zwaneveld <E.HA.ZWANEVELD at NFB-ONF.CA>


The information I provided to you about perchloroethylene film cleaning 
and a call I received from one of you, suggests that I might share some more
details, in case you need them.

There are some concerns when using any quatity of solvents in work areas:

1. What do you do when there is a spill?

  Your local Safety Supply /Spill Control Supplier, can offer you all-purpose 
  absorbents, that absorb up to 16 times the weight of the pad, mat or snake-
  like roll.   

2. How to signal that there is a spill, other than wait for someone to
smell it?

  An inexpensive product of about $ 30.00, is Flood Alert, made by 
  Abbeon Cal, Inc., fax: 1-805-966-7659, it sounds an alarm if liquid should 
  come in contact with the sensor. Also a great thing to have, if your 
  basement floods occasionally.
  Another unit, called the Tankguard Sensor, is made by MSA 
  <http:www.msanet.com/instruments> or call: 1-800-267-0672 or 
  Internationally  tel (1-412-967-3228 or fax: 1-412-967-3373 for info.

3. Can a vapor detector for perc be mounted in a work area, raise an
alarm when the Permissible Exposure Level is exceeded, and permit the
information to be recorded on a computer?

  Yes, MSA, makes a model 3800 Infrared Gas Monitor, or similar from
  someone else, it reads over a range of 0 to 1000 parts per million 
  (ppm).  It is easy to install, easy to read the display, has a 
  sensitivity of 1 ppm.

 We have used similar technology, made locally in Quebec for 1,1,1 
 trichloroethane for years, and it works well.

4. How do you evacuate solvent vapors best?

 -Recycle and make sure that there are no leaks, and employees wait
  with opening doors until charged air is evacuated.

 -Exhaust vapors at the source, aim at half the Permissible Exposure
  Level as your target, verify using a Draeger or similar air pump with
  a detector tube with reagent for a quick evaluation.
 -Adding fresh room air to dilute the smell is inefficient and expensive.

 -Refer to Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of recommended Practice, 
  of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists,
  they are located in Lansing Michigan, cost about $ 15.00 a copy.

With best regards,

Ed H. Zwaneveld
Technical Research and Development
National Film Board of Canada
125 rue Houde, T-3
Saint Laurent, PQ.
H4N 2J3
tel: 1-514-283-9143
e-mail: e.ha.zwaneveld at nfb-onf.ca                

--- End of forwarded message from Eddy Zwaneveld <E.HA.ZWANEVELD at NFB-ONF.CA>