[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: RE: HDTV WHY???
- To: telecine at sun.alegria.com
- Subject: RE: RE: HDTV WHY???
- From: JSnopes at aol.com
- Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 06:00:38 -0400 (EDT)
- Old-Return-Path: <JSnopes at aol.com>
- Resent-Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 03:01:01 -0700 (PDT)
- Resent-From: telecine at sun.alegria.com
- Resent-Message-ID: <"tHlLID.A.UaG.S3MM0" at sun>
- Resent-Sender: telecine-request at sun.alegria.com
- Resent-To: multiple recipients of <telecine at sun.alegria.com>
>The new DTV broadcasts will have no snow or ghosts. When decoded in a
>set-top box and presented to the S-Video input of an NTSC television set
>they'll produce no chroma crawl either. The net delivered quality to
>the consumer could be quite a bit better than that which one can receive
>via today's NTSC analog transmissions.
Sure, that is all true. But most consumers seem pretty content watching
VHS tapes... my bet is that (unless mandated - like CDs were over vinyl)
that DTV will have market penetration similar to laser disk. Some people
care about quality, many do not. And notice how few TVs have S-Video
inputs these days -- much harder to find than 3 or 4 years ago.
The small number of videophiles here brings to mind a record mastering
engineer I know who has no home stereo or car stereo... he listens hard
during the day, and takes a break after that. Kind of like you colorists!
(I assume your eyes can get quite bleary after a long day of making us
cinematographers look good...)
Wish I had a Predicta!
Thanks to Hugh Waters & Tom Davy for support of the TIG
TIG subscriber count is 854 on Tue Sep 30 03:00:51 PDT 1997
archives and much more at http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html
mailinglist digest available.... unsubscribe via a message to
'telecine-request at alegria.com' with Subject: unsubscribe